Police have confirmed that the search for the missing Reidar Nilsen has now ended. Photo: No. 330 Squadron RNoAF

Police in Finnmark have confirmed that the search for missing 74-year-old fishermen Reidar Nilsen will resume tomorrow

Relatives of missing fisherman, Reidar Nilsen, have been informed by police in Finnmark that the search for his body will be resumed.

Mr Nilsen, a former leader of the Norwegian Fishermen’s Association has been missing since 09 January when his fishing vessel, the ‘Peik’ was found aground on rocks at Sletnes. Mr Nilsen was accompanied onboard by his son Remi Andre Nilsen (43) whose remains were found in the vicinity of the wreck the same day.

There had been calls for the police in Finnmark to resume the search for the 74-year-old missing man after the search was ended on Wednesday 12 January due to poor weather conditions. It was announced today that they believed there is a weather window tomorrow, Wednesday 19 January, that would allow them the opportunity to search the area.”

the fishing daily advertise with us

“The police, together with the Accident Investigation Board Norway, have reviewed and analysed AIS tracking and more, and wish to investigate certain priority areas in the sailing route that the vessel had before it sank,” said on-duty chief of staff Stein Kristian Hansen in Finnmark police district in a press release.

Former Norwegian Fishermen’s Association leader Reidar Nilsen and his son have been lost off Finnmark in northern Norway in a fishing incident

Former Norwegian Fishermen’s Association leader Reidar Nilsen has been lost off Finnmark in northern Norway since 09 January

The areas that have been designated include the area where the AIS signal disappeared and backwards from where the vessel drifted ashore. The plan is to initiate a search with ROV on Wednesday morning.

“The weather forecast for Wednesday looks promising. This is an area that is very exposed to the weather but it may look like we have a weather window tomorrow morning that we hope to be able to use. The use of ROV depends on the waves not being too high. So, if the weather allows it, the search will start on Wednesday morning,” confirmed Hansen.

The Norwegian Fishermen’s Association has been clear that they want the search to be resumed after it was cancelled last Wednesday.

“We are happy that there was only a break in the search and that they are now making a renewed effort. Even though all hope is gone now, it is important to find him,” current Norwegian Fishermen’s Association leader, Kåre Heggebø told Fiskeribladet.

The fishing team has no role in the search work or up against the police but has contact with the local community and with the family of the two victims, said Heggbø. The days after the news came about the shipwreck on 09 January have been heavy for the members of the Association.

He concluded by saying, “We sincerely hope the new searches will yield results.

The late Remi Andre Nilsen is survived by his partner Johanne Sandvik Mikalsen (25) and their three children. RIP.

Follow The Fishing Daily

Norwegian Police resume search for missing fisherman Reidar Nilsen

by editor time to read: 6 min
0