The Ports of Jersey Authority say the expect to have completed the search onboard the wreck of the l’Ecume II today
The Ports of Jersey Authority say the expect to have completed the search onboard the wreck of the l’Ecume II which sank on Thursday 08 December after being involved in a collision with the ro-ro freighter, Commodore Goodwill.
The incident occurred northwest of Jersey Island in the area of St Ouen’s Bay, at around 05.30 the morning when the 126-metre Commodore Goodwill was en route to St Helier on Jersey Island. The 18-metre l’Ecume sank immediately with all three hands onboard: skipper Michael Michieli and crewmen Larry Simyunn and Jervis Baligat. A search on the day of the disaster found the wreck of the l’Ecume II on the seafloor in 40-metre deep waters.
On Tuesday 13 December, two bodies were found in the vicinity of the wreck and on Wednesday 14, the bodies were recovered and brought ashore. Their names have not yet been released.
Since then, the search has continued by the Ports of Jersey said yesterday, (Wednesday 21 December) that strong currents had been hampering the search operation. The authority said in a statement:
“MV Freja is continuing to search the interior of the wreck of L’Ecume II and the surrounding seabed. Fast-moving currents and a temporary technical problem with one of the underwater robots caused some delay and the work is now expected to be completed by tomorrow. We are still actively searching for the third missing fisherman.
“During the search over the past week, the robot recovered some of the crew’s personal items. These will be passed on to the families when the investigations are complete.
“The existing exclusion zone remains in place for safety reasons, and the two parallel investigations into the collision are continuing.”
The Port of Jersey confirmed that in their search, the team onboard has removed areas of the deck and the aluminium accommodation structure from L’Ecume II’s wooden hull saying, “This has allowed an extensive search below decks.”