fishing vessels register food premises

The Highland Council has reminded fishing vessels owners to register as food premises

Fishing vessels owners in the Scottish Highlands have been notified to urgently register as “food premises” before the end of the transition period.

Boat owners will also need to have their vessel inspected by the Highland Council to enable their catch to be exported, either directly or indirectly, to Europe after Britain leaves the Common Fisheries Policy on 01 January 2021.

Owners are being advised to contact the Council to register their vessel and make arrangements for it to be inspected before the transition period ends on December 31.

Follow The Fishing Daily

Who needs to register?

“At the end of the Brexit (British EU Exit) ‘Transition Period’ set for 31 December 2020, all fishing vessels where the catch is exported directly or indirectly to any EU Member State must be registered as a food business with us. This will include arrangements to have your vessel(s) inspected us.” writes the Council.

“It is the responsibility of the fishing vessel food business operator or their representative to register with us. Failure to do so may result in your catch being unable to be exported to EU Member States at the end of the transition period.

“It is therefore a legal requirement to register. However, there is an exemption if your catch is intended either solely for your own consumption, or it does not exceed 25 kilograms and is for direct sale from the quayside.

“If your fishing vessel ‘home port’ is located within the Highland Council area (for example Scrabster or Wick) then you must register with us.

“This online registration form is limited to one fishing vessel per submission. Should multiple vessels need to be registered then a new online application is required per fishing vessel.

“Based on the activities carried out, certain fishing vessels are required to be approved rather than registered. If you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require your establishment to be approved, please contact us for guidance.”

You can register you fishing boat through the HIghland Council page by clicking here.

Brian J McMullin Solicitors
MMG Welding Killybegs

Highland Council reminds fishing vessels to register as food premises

by editor time to read: 6 min