The missing fishing vessel Nicola Faith; Photo: HM Coastguard
The crew of the fishing vessel which has been missing off the North Coast of Wales since last Wednesday has been named as Alan Minard (20), Ross Ballantine (39) and skipper Carl McGrath (34).
The three men were working onboard the 10 metre FV Nicola Faith BS 58 when it was reported missing after failing to return home from their fishing trip.
The vessel had departed from Conwy, on the north coast of Wales, on Wednesday (27 January) but a search was launched after it failed to return home at midnight after HM Coastguard received a report on the overdue vessel the following Thursday morning.
Rhyl, Bangor and Llandudno Coastguard Rescue Teams were sent to assist along with five RNLI lifeboats from Rhyl, Llandudno & Conwy.
The HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter from Caernarfon assisted with the searches and a fixed-wing Coastguard aircraft from Doncaster had also been called to help with search efforts. Broadcasts were made to alert vessels in the nearby area who also assisted in the search.
Yesterday, (Friday 29 January) HM Coastguard announced that searches for the three missing fishermen had been stood down pending further information.
Mr Minard’s family said they believed the crew were dropping lobster pots during operations on Wednesday.
Amy Lamb, girlfriend of skipper Carl McGrath told local news outlet Conwy Nub News “He usually goes out between Rhos and Conwy. He’s been doing the job for about four years now. So, he is very handy. He knows exactly what he’s doing, and he’s absolutely fantastic at his job. He is probably one of the best fishermen in Conwy.
“He was a builder originally, and he built the boat himself and then became a fisherman and just excelled from there really. He’s experienced in these situations. He would know exactly what to do.”
She added: “I’m so confused of where he would be as he would know what to do.”
A prayer vigil is being held tonight for the three missing fishermen.